Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Kale!

I just made a kale salad so I decided to share my favorite kale recipe with you guys...

First, I'd like to share with you my relationship with kale. Up until a month ago, it was nonexistent. The change occurred one night when Dan and I decided to eat dinner from the Whole Foods prepared foods bar. When I saw their kale salad, I finally decided to give it a try.

Why had I NEVER had kale up until that point in my life? Yes, I have continually heard through the years that it has some great health benefits but I just never got around to it because I thought it would taste similar to turnip greens (something I do NOT like). Ironically, I LOVE collard greens but I just can't stand turnip greens. Regardless of my preconceived thoughts, I am still surprised I have never tried kale up to this point since I am typically pretty keen on testing the tastyness of anything that is really healthy.


The health benefits include:

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?dbid=38&tname=foodspice


Of course, if you just google "health benefits of kale," you will find a wealth of resources.


So the verdict on kale? AWESOME. Just how awesome? Almost as awesome as discovering how easy it is to grow fresh basil leaves in a pot (that occurred about 2 years ago).


After looking up recipes and such to create my own, I have decided I REALLY like kale prepared this way:


Powerhouse kale salad ingredients:
  • Kale, finely chopped
  • red onions
  • avocados (thrown in at the last minute so it won't turn in to guacamole. A half ripened avocado is best)
  • almonds
  • tomatoes
  • Optional: celery, carrots, bell peppers, etc.


Make this dressing and toss it in to the kale mix:
  • 2 parts red wine vinegar
  • 1 part olive oil
  • agave nectar (I typically mix it with the vinegar BEFORE adding in the olive oil)
  • Optional: Garlic, black pepper (no salt!)


Yes, you can substitute sugar or a sweetener for the agave nectar but I use agave since I am trying to make a very tasty yet healthy salad. :)

Of course, many of you know I never really follow a recipe so I just change up some of the ingredients whenever I feel like it. :) I DEFINITELY keep in the red onions for taste, avocado to make it a more filling salad, and the almonds for more health benefits. (If you don't believe me, just google the health benefits of avocado and almonds :P

If you actually decide to try this kale salad, please feel free to let me know what you think. In the meantime, I will get back to enjoying my kale salad and try to write about at least one random thing every month so that you know we are still alive :)

2 comments: