Tuesday, 8 September 2009

The Big Apple

We just spent the past weekend in New York City for a friend's wedding. It was Dan's first time to New York and well, my fifth time or so. Since Dan had never been, we did a lot of sightseeing and stuff before finishing the weekend with Sarah and Jason's wedding celebration.

It was awesome hanging out with Laura and JM, who had flown in from England. It was Laura's first time to America so it was pretty neat to hear her first impressions and experiences. For example, Laura couldn't believe how many choices we get in the States, even at restaurants! It reminded me of the typical experience non-Americans have when they first visit our country. After traveling around the world, I learned that most restaurants outside of the U.S. do not give you options in sides, salad dressings, putting anything on the side, etc.



I must admit: the skyline doesn't look the same without the twin towers. This photo of lower Manhattan was taken on our way in to the city on the Staten Island Ferry.


Every time I visit New York, I stop by Ground Zero to pay my respects to those who had to go through that horrible day. I was amazed to see how much they have progressed... it was great to see progress but it also saddened me to know that so many families could not recover their loved ones





This is the base structure for the new building that will be built... right next to where the North Tower once stood.



On my previous visits to Ground Zero, I always walked by this 11 Tears memorial inside the American Express Building... this time, I heard why it was there and the symbolism of the monument... it is definitely one of the best monuments I have ever seen....


http://www.jckonline.com/article/290608-AMEX_Remembers_Eleven.php






We HIGHLY recommend going on the visiting the Tribute to the World Trade Center and going on their walking tour. Both of our tour guides were actually in the 90-something floor of the South tower and were fortunate to make it out... they were some of the last ones to make it out and survive. It was so sad to hear their story...

http://www.tributewtc.org/visitorinfo/index.php



Had an awesome dinner with old friends at the Aqua Grille.











After dinner, we stopped by Times Square. I couldn't believe how much the "bright lights" of Times Square has grown since the last time I was here!

















New York style pizza at Grimaldi's... It was SO good! I highly recommend Grimaldi's AND Lombardi's.








After having our yummy lunch, we headed back to Manhattan, via the Brooklyn Bridge. Everyone talks about how cool the bridge is... well, try crossing the bridge with an engineer... you begin to develop a greater appreciation for bridges, LOL.


We stumbled upon this officer who was letting some of the ladies pose with him. I decided to join the groupies, LOL.











The lovely bride and groom.
















It was so nice to hang with C again... and I was so happy I could actually have a proper conversation with her man, instead of just seeing him from the distance on my wedding day.


Dancing the night away.














All in all, we had a wonderful weekend and Dan loved New York. Dan says, "The food was great, the people were good-looking, and the buildings were spectacular."

No comments:

Post a Comment